The GFRAS policy group was formed at the request of the GFRAS steering committee due to the high level of interest in this topic, especially in Africa.
The working group will:
- Harmonise activities within policy making for extension and advisory services
- Link demands to resources within policy activities
- Make information and resources publicly available on the relevant web sites
East Africa Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services Policy Dialogue
June 18 2015, Kampala, Uganda
At the core of this policy dialogue were the results of the scoping study on the status of the AEAS policies in Africa and their alignment to the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development (CAADP agenda.
The event served also as a test case for further policy dialoques in other counries.
RAS policies - evidence and practice - GFRAS Annual Meeting 2014
Meeting report (pdf 1.36MB)
See the webpage of the meeting
Extension Policy Compendium: a collection of materials
Demands for a RAS Policy Guide - Questionnaire September 2013
A policy can be defined as a regulatory framework to guide decisions and achieve out-comes. The GFRAS working group on policy together with the Modernizing Extension and Advisory Services (MEAS) developed the idea to elaborate a guide for extension policy and a survey was conducted in September and October 2013 to identify the demand for such a document.
Results Policy Questionnaire (pdf 599KB)
Conclusions & Recommendations of the Policy Questionnaire (pdf 193KB)
Extension Policy questionnaire (pdf 242KB)
GFRAS Policy Meeting, 13 March 2013, Hotel Roodevallei, Pretoria, South Africa
Report Policy Meeting 2013 Pretoria (pdf 711KB)
GFRAS Action and Events Plan at Global Level (pdf 276KB)
K-Davis Introduction (pdf 621KB)
M-Kamau Kenya Steps of policy development (pdf 624KB)
L-Botsheleng Consultation process (pdf 778 KB)
M-Zinnah Challenges of follow up (pdf 348KB)
M-Eweg Summary Tips for implementation and stakeholder engagement (pdf 155KB)
M-Olupot Summary Areas for harmonisation key questions (pdf 85KB)
RAS Policy Compendium
The Policy Compendium is a tool that contributes to filling the gap between the rural advisory services (RAS) policy environment and RAS efforts in the field. It helps direct decisions and facilitate successful policy processes and outcomes in extension and advisory services by making knowledge accessible, fostering synergies and promoting policy processes to improve RAS and rural development.
It has two purposes.
- It provides easily accessible and understandable resources for those developing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating or advocating for RAS policy. The Compendium provides background information, inputs, ideas and hands-on guidance for decision-making and facilitation of successful policy processes for RAS.
- The Compendium is also closely linked to GFRAS’ efforts with regards to the Consortium on Extension Education and Training and to policy dialogues at regional and national level: While the Policy Compendium provides background and learning materials to support advocacy trainings and policy dialogues, results from trainings and policy dialogues will feed back into the Policy Compendium, enriching it with up-to-date data for practitioners using it.
The Policy Compendium is dynamic and is continuously expanded. For more information on it's structure and history, visit the sub-category "About".
Find out more at compendium.g-fras.org
Need an Expert?